Wednesday, April 25, 2007

In a blue jay way


This is a re-used canvas from a piece I started in 2002, while I was taking a class on the Pre-Raphaelites. The original idea was to have the gold border frame a transcription of one of D.G. Rossetti's sonnets from The House of Life, which is, of course, the best piece of literature ever to have been exhumed from a Victorian woman's grave. I painted the background over the old text with my leftover paint from a cock-fight piece I am hating right now, and then decided I needed a blue subject for the foreground. His fat little body and earnest expression inspired me. Please suggest names, he longs for an identity. But not Jay.

4 comments:

merpez lamor said...

How about... Jake.

Courtney said...

OOoh more birds, I love the Scrub Jay and on that background it is wonderful, Jays deserve more respect!

Stella said...

goddamnit, all i can think of to call him is flufferkins. (yes you are, yes you are you blue little... okay, i'll stop now.)

Courtney said...

I like Henri, he is clearly a francophile.